Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Son; Fitz names were commonly given to the illegitimate sons of royalty
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Fitz
Family name origins & meanings
- English : generally said to be from Anglo-Norman French fi(t)z ‘son’, used originally to distinguish a son from a father bearing the same personal name.
- It could also be a habitational name from a place in Shropshire called Fitz, recorded in 1194 as Fittesho, from an Old English personal name, Fitt, + hōh ‘hill spur’.
- In one family at least, it is an altered form of English Fitch.
- German : unexplained. Possibly from a vernacular pet form of the personal name Vincent.
- Johann Peter Fitz, an immigrant from Germany, arrived in Philadelphia in 1750. Bearers of the name from Britain were already established in North America before that date.