Meaning and Origin of: Duke
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Latin : Leader
- Celtic : Leader of the seas
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English and Irish : from Middle English duk(e) ‘duke’ (from Old French duc, from Latin dux, genitive ducis ‘leader’), applied as an occupational name for someone who worked in the household of a duke, or as a nickname for someone who gave himself airs and graces.
- English and Irish : possibly also from the personal name Duke, a short form of Marmaduke, a personal name said to be from Irish mael Maedoc ‘devotee (mael, maol ‘bald’, ‘tonsured one’) of Maedoc’, a personal name (M’Aodhóg) meaning ‘my little Aodh’, borne by various early Irish saints, in particular a 6th-century abbot of Clonmore and a 7th-century bishop of Ferns.
- Scottish : compare the old Danish personal name Duk (Old Norse Dūkr).
- In some cases, possibly an Americanized form of French Leduc or Spanish Duque.
- Possibly an Americanized spelling of Polish Duk, a nickname from dukac ‘to stammer or falter’.