Girl name origins & meanings
- English : From Devonshire
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings
- Irish : Poet
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish (County Louth) : variant of Devine 1.
- English and French : variant of Devine 2.
- French : from devin‘sorcerer’, ‘fortune teller’ (related to the verb deviner ‘to divine’, ‘foretell’).
- Russian : metronymic from deva‘girl’, normally a designation of an illegitimate child. Sometimes it may be a patronymic from a nickname for an effeminate man.
- A Breton bearer of this name was married in Quebec city in 1692.