Boy name origins & meanings
- Greek : Famous one
- Irish : Handsome
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Coileáin ‘descendant of Coileán’, a byname meaning ‘puppy’ or ‘young dog’.
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Cuilinn ‘descendant of Cuileann’, a byname meaning ‘holly’.
- Scottish : habitational name from Cullen in Banff, so named from Gaelic cùilen, a diminutive of còil,cùil ‘nook’, ‘recess’.
- English : habitational name from the Rhineland city of Cologne (Old French form of Middle High GermanKöln, named with Latin colonia‘colony’).
- English : variant of Cooling.