Girl name origins & meanings
- Latin : Dear
- Irish : Pure
- Spanish : Dear
- Welsh : Near the castle
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings
- Irish : Dark ones; near the castle
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Carey
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Ciardha, a midland family name meaning ‘descendant of Ciardha’, a personal name derived from ciar ‘dark’, ‘black’.
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Fhiachra ‘son of Fiachra’.
- English : habitational name from Carey in Devon or Cary in Somerset, named for the rivers on which they stand; both river names probably derive from the Celtic root car- ‘love’, ‘liking’, perhaps with the meaning ‘pleasant stream’.
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name from the manor of Carrey, near Lisieux, Normandy, France, of uncertain origin.
- Welsh and Cornish : variant of Carew.
- Possibly an Americanized form of German Gehrig or Gehring.