Meaning and Origin of: Bly
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Native American : Tall child
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : variant spelling of Bligh.
- German : variant of Blei, Bley, a metonymic occupational name for a lead miner or lead worker, from Middle High German blī ‘lead’.
- Dutch : nickname for a cheerful, happy man, Dutch blij.
- Swedish : possibly German in origin (see 2 above) or a soldier’s name.
- Americanized form of a Norwegian habitational name from a farmstead in Hardanger named Bleie, from a river name from Old Norse bleikr ‘gray’, ‘pale’ + vin ‘meadow’.