Starting kindergarten can feel intimidating to children, especially if they've never attended a program like daycare or preschool. These cute crafts for kindergarten can help your child get ready for their first day of school and feel excited about it.
If you have a little one who'se reluctant to start school, try making a few of these sweet kindergarten-themed crafts together to help them feel more at ease.
Milk Carton School Bus
Photo Credit: Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
This adorable Milk Carton School Bus craft by Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas will make the "big yellow bus" seem much less scary.
- 1/2 gallon milk carton
- Yellow paint
- Construction paper, white and black
- Crayons and markers
- Glue stick
- Foam stickers
- 4 plastic bottle caps
- Hot glue gun
- Paint the outside of the milk carton with a layer of yellow paint. Apply two coats, letting the paint dry in between coats.
- Cut two long rectangular strips from white construction paper using scissors, then fold the strips into thirds.
- Draw black lines down the folded lines using crayons or markers to make the strips look like windows.
- Glue the "windows" across the yellow milk carton with a glue stick. Let the glue dry completely.
- Cut two long rectangular strip from black construction paper using scissors, and glue them under the window strips, one per side of the bus.
- Apply foam letter stickers across the black strips to spell out the word "school" on each side of the bus.
- Draw people in the windows of the bus with crayons or markers.
- Cut out a circle from white construction paper, and attach it to the front of the bus. This is where you can draw the bus driver.
- Attach four plastic bottle caps on to each corner of the milk carton bus using a hot glue gun, then allow the hot glue to cool completely.
Pool Noodle Chalk Pencil
Photo Credit: LalyMom
How cute is this Pool Noodle Chalk Pencil from LalyMom? This craft is sure to make your kindergartner want to start school!
- Pink pool noodle
- Serrated knife
- Yellow pool noodle
- Silver duct tape
- Jumbo sidewalk chalk
- Place the pink pool noodle on a flat surface, and cut off a 4-to-5-inch piece with a serrated knife.
- Place the yellow pool noodle on a flat surface, and cut off a 27-to-30-inch piece.
- Cut around one end of the yellow pool noodle at an angle to "sharpen" the tip.
- Place the pink pool noodle section on the flat end of the yellow pool noodle section, and wrap silver duct tape around the seam to attach them together.
- Push a jumbo sidewalk chalk into the "sharpened" end of the yellow pool noodle, then have fun writing!
Photo Credit: Happiest Mom on the Blog
- Construction paper
- White school glue
- Dry beans
- Place a sheet of construction paper on to a flat surface, then draw out a letter on the paper using a pencil.
- Trace the pencil markings with white school glue.
- Place dry beans over the line of glue, one at a time, until the entire letter is covered with beans.
- Allow the glue to dry completely before hanging up the bean letter.
Looking for even more cute crafts for kindergarten? Try these 10 apple-themed crafts and activities.
As an award-winning journalist, author, and artist, Kelly Sundstrom has a passion for helping parents feel well-prepared, confident, and capable in the journey ahead. As an Attachment Parenting advocate and homeschooling mother of two, Sundstrom has been a guest speaker on Grassroots TV in Aspen, Colorado, and encourages families across the country to disconnect from media and reconnect with each other.