Meaning and Origin of: Morgan
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Welsh : Enchantress half-sister of Arthur; white sea; bright; dweller by the sea
- Irish : Lives by the sea
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Welsh : from the Old Welsh personal name Morcant, which is of uncertain but ancient etymology.
- Irish : importation of the Welsh surname, to which has been assimilated more than one Gaelic surname, notably Ó Muireagáin (see Merrigan).
- Scottish : of uncertain origin; probably from a Gaelic personal name cognate with Welsh Morcant.
- Morgan is one of the oldest and commonest of Welsh surnames, but there is also a Scottish family called Morgan, established from medieval times in Aberdeenshire, with connections with the McKays. The Scottish name is probably not the result of Welsh migration, but was established independently. Abel Morgan (1673–1722), a baptist clergyman, was born in Cardiganshire, South Wales, and emigrated to Philadelphia in 1712, establishing churches in PA, DE, and NJ.