I made a version of these sun catchers with my boys as little hostess gifts for Thanksgiving. The boys loved sticking the tissue paper to the contact sheet, and they were super-proud to give a present that they made "all by themselves."For this craft, you will need:
- Tissue paper in various colors
- Self-adhesive laminate sheets
- Black construction paper
- Hole punch
- Fold two sheets of black construction paper in half together and cut out half a tear drop shape along the fold. You should end up with two teardrops that are about the same size.
- Unfold one sheet of paper and cut the outer edges until it’s just a little smaller than your laminate sheet. Carefully place it on the sticky side of a laminate sheet.
- Fold your tissue paper several times and cut it into rough squares about an inch wide and an inch high.
- Place the tissue paper squares in random order inside the teardrop until all the laminate is covered.
- Add a little glue around the edge of the teardrop and place your second piece of black construction paper over the first one, lining up the teardrops. Let the glue dry.
- Carefully place your second laminate sheet over the construction-and-tissue-paper sandwich and smooth out any wrinkles.
- Trim the whole ornament so all that’s left is a teardrop (it should look like a Christmas light) with a black border about half an inch to an inch thick.
- Punch a hole in the top of the ornament and thread the string through. Tie it off in a loop.
Display your Christmas ornament sun catcher in any place it can catch some rays.For more Christmas crafts, check out 15 Holiday Crafts for Kids!