Back-to-School Checklist for Younger Kids
Summer is coming to an end, so use this checklist to make sure you are fully prepared for back-to-school. Starting school may be stressful for younger children, but you can help ease the transition by taking these steps.
Back-to-School Checklist for Younger KidsIn August
- If the school is new to your child, schedule a tour.
- Speak to your child's teacher. If he is unavailable to meet with you in person, try setting up a telephone appointment.
- Finalize any medication arrangements with the nurse. Be sure to let her know if your child has allergies.
The Night Before
- Pack your child's backpack with preliminary school supplies.
- Make sure your child has completed all summer assignments, and that they are packed in her bag.
- Put your child to bed early. Anxiety and stress are aggravated by fatigue, so make sure that she gets adequate sleep.
- Wake your child early, to allow plenty of time to get ready for the day.
- Prepare a hearty breakfast.
- Pack a and include a lunchbox love note.
- Try to drive your child to school on the first day, even if you plan on using alternative transportation later on.
- Walk into the classroom, greet the teacher, and reintroduce your child.
- Point out your child's cubby, coat hook, and the nearest bathroom.
- Introduce yourself to other parents milling about, and introduce your child.
- Remind your child what time you will be back to pick her up.
- Don't be late!