Resource Room Problems

When your child is experiencing problems in the Resource Room, there are steps you can take.
My seventh-grader and his resource room have worked together for three and a half years. He sees her for one hour for math. There is major friction between the two of them. A paraprofessional is also involved with the teaching. My son's progress has been at a standstill for the last year and his self-esteem has suffered. What resources and materials are available? What should we do?
It's difficult to give specific recommendations without knowing more about the problems your son is experiencing. Has he made progress in the resource room setting? If he hasn't, then it would be appropriate to ask to reopen his case and see what other options are available to give him support in school. If no appropriate options are available, you might request funding for private tutoring outside the school setting.

You can learn more about special education and the law on Then, look at attorney Lawrence M. Siegel's book, The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child for information about how to work through the system.

For more than 20 years, Eileen Marzola has worked with children and adults with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders, and with their parents and teachers. She has been a regular education classroom teacher, a consultant teacher/resource teacher, an educational evaluator/diagnostician, and has also taught graduate students at the university level. Marzola is an adjunct assistant professor of education at Teachers College, Columbia University, and Hunter College of the City University of New York. She also maintains a private practice in the evaluation and teaching of children with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders.

Please note: This "Expert Advice" area of should be used for general information purposes only. Advice given here is not intended to provide a basis for action in particular circumstances without consideration by a competent professional. Before using this Expert Advice area, please review our General and Medical Disclaimers.