Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and Dyslexia

A public school can be asked to pay for private services is if you prove that their services are not appropriate for your child's needs.
My 15-year-old daughter is dyslexic and has been diagnosed with central auditory processing disorder. She's in a private school and has made great progress this past year but I would like her to go to public high school. She's going to speech once a week at the public school and when we had the ARD, they told me that they couldn't give her what the private school was giving her. Is there any way I can get the public school to pay the tuition?
A parent can always contest the recommendation of the local committee on special education. Ask for an impartial hearing to present your side. It would be to your advantage if you came with an advocate who could help you argue that the services recommended by the high school are not adequate for your child's needs.

There's a listserve on the Internet just for parents and professionals who are interested in the needs of children with CAPD. The address of the listserve is: listserv@maelstrom.stjohns.edu In the body of the e-mail, write: Subscribe CAPD your name.

In the meantime, call the toll-free number for the Learning Disabilities Association of America at 1-888-300-6710 to see if they can recommend an advocate in your area. From my own experience, I've found that the only way to get the public school to pay for private services is if you can prove that the services they can provide are not appropriate for your child's needs. Good luck!

For more than 20 years, Eileen Marzola has worked with children and adults with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders, and with their parents and teachers. She has been a regular education classroom teacher, a consultant teacher/resource teacher, an educational evaluator/diagnostician, and has also taught graduate students at the university level. Marzola is an adjunct assistant professor of education at Teachers College, Columbia University, and Hunter College of the City University of New York. She also maintains a private practice in the evaluation and teaching of children with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders.

Please note: This "Expert Advice" area of FamilyEducation.com should be used for general information purposes only. Advice given here is not intended to provide a basis for action in particular circumstances without consideration by a competent professional. Before using this Expert Advice area, please review our General and Medical Disclaimers.