- "I am calm, focused, and smart."
- "I have studied and I am prepared."
- "I calmly trust my knowledge."
- "I am doing the best I can, and my best is terrific."
- "When angry or stressed, I take deep, slow breaths."
- "I remember to breathe deeply during my tests."
- "Breathing deeply brings more oxygen to my brain."
- "Being calm helps me to remember more."
- "I have enough time."
Psychology Today advises teaching kids the "Balloon Breath" technique — breathing slowly and deeply into the belly (as if filling up their entire torso like a balloon), focusing attention a couple of inches below the belly button, which helps people feel calm and centered. Remind your child that he'll need to use quiet deep breaths (in and out of his nose) on test day.