popular topics in fitness and nutrition
- Caffeine8 Surprising Sources of Caffeine in Kids' FoodsIs your child consuming too much caffeine without you even knowing it? The answer may be yes. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says 100-200 milligrams (mg) a day is safe, but a recent study published in the journal Pediatrics found even low...Lindsay Hutton
- Vegetarianism5 Tips to Raise a Healthy Vegetarian Child"Mom, I've decided to become a vegetarian!" Whether your child or teen has recently uttered these words to you, or your whole family has gone meatless, you're probably wondering how to supplement your child's diet with the nutrients she needs. Fo...Lindsay Hutton
- Extreme SportsKids and Extreme SportsKids and Extreme Sports Are Team Sports Becoming Passé?Though traditional sports like football, basketball, and hockey aren't exactly going out of style, the world of so-called extreme sports keeps growing in popularity. Kids and adults alike ar...Kyanna Sutton
- Eye CareEat the Rainbow for Your EyesHave you "eaten the rainbow" today? Brightly colored fruits and vegetables offer different nutrients that are good for your overall health, and eating the colors of the rainbow spectrum, especially those with the carotenoid lutein, may also prote...Bridget Swinney, R.D.
- Halloween Candy10 Ideas for Leftover Halloween CandyWant to prevent cavities and sugar highs in the aftermath of Halloween? Check out these ideas for recycling, rationing, and purging your child's heap of candy. ...Erin Dower
- Exercise and Sports8 Fun (and Cheap!) Family Fitness ActivitiesLooking for some fun family "workouts" that feel more like play? Check out these simple outdoor activities that will get everyone in your family off the couch and help you bond while burning some calories. ...Erin Dower
- GymnasticsIs Gymnastics Right for Your Child?Is Gymnastics Right for Your Child? Gymnastics has long been considered a sport of immense skill and dedication. However, those admirable qualities often come under scrutiny from critics who think the sport causes physical delays in young athlet...Lindsay Hutton
- AAP Says Interactive Screen Time Can Be HealthyWhen it comes to screen time and kids, it isn't all bad news. The American Academy of Pediatrics offers guidelines on how to make screen time healthy and educational.Curious World
- Childhood ObesityGoodnight, Sleepy Head: The Link Between Sleep and Childhood ObesityGoodnight, Sleepy Head: The Link Between Sleep and Childhood Obesity Everyone knows how great it feels to get a good night's sleep. You wake up feeling refreshed and alert. You're concentration and focus is better. Overall, you just feel good. T...Lindsay Hutton
- Parenting Tools Printables"USDA MyPlate" Food GuidelinesThe USDA presents an easy way to fit the five major food groups on your plate at every meal. Use this visual guide to design a healthy plate for your family. ...
- Early PubertyEarly Puberty in Girls at an All-Time HighEarly Puberty in Girls at an All-Time High Kids these days are growing up too fast – literally. A recent study shows that a significant number of girls are beginning to develop breasts and hit puberty by age 7 or 8, around second grade. Often r...Erin Dower
- Exercise and SportsWhen Kids Want to QuitWhen Kids Want to QuitDilemma for Parents: Am I Raising "A Quitter"? Many children find themselves engaged in a "second shift" of after-school activities. The soccer fields are teaming, the gymnastics schools are full, and ballet classes are in f...Katy Abel
- Outdoor ActivitiesWinter ActivitiesChilly, snowy days are calling your kids outdoors. Find fun winter activities for the slopes, trails, ice rink, and backyard for children of all ages. Remember to brush up on winter sports safety. Have the hot cocoa ready when everyone comes back...Erin Dower
- Childhood ObesityMichelle Obama Tackles a National Crisis - Childhood ObesityMichelle Obama Tackles a National Crisis - Childhood Obesity According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the number of overweight and obese children in the U.S. has tripled in the past 30 years. The statistics are alarming ...Lindsay Hutton
- Children's Nutritional NeedsThe Best Brain FoodsDo your brain a favor and feed it foods packed with nutrients to keep it healthy and fit. Decrease your chance of disease while improving your mood, thinking, and mental skills with these brain-boosting super foods. Source: WebMD ...
- Power StrugglesMy Child Won't EatA child who won't eat may be having a power struggle with the parent. Find out why the problem may not really be food-related. ...
- Fact Monster - a safe online educational space for kids
Are you worried about your kids being online? Fact Monster is a KidSafe-certified site for your kids to get homework help, play games and watch educational videos. Check it out...and give Same Game a try yourself!
sponsored contentFamily Education
- Olympic GamesVancouver 2010 Winter Olympic GamesVancouver will host the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. How much do you know about this Canadian city? ...