- Empty, clean tin can
- Paint in as many colors as there are players
- Four 2-inch metal washers per player
- Paper and pencil
- Dig a hole in the ground and place the can in it so the top of the can is flush with the ground.
- Using spray paint (or acrylic or tempera paints finished with clear acrylic spray), paint four washers (horseshoes) with each color.
- Give four horseshoes to each player.
- One player stands about six feet away from the can and tries to throw his horseshoes into the can.
- Each player takes a turn.
- When all the horseshoes have been thrown, retrieve them from the can and record each player's score.
- A horseshoe that lands in the can scores two points, and each player?s horseshoe nearest the can scores one point. (This way, every player always scores at least one point.)
- Set a time limit.
- The player with the most points when time runs out is the winner.
- A child playing alone can try to accumulate a certain number of points within a given time period.