In this fun craft activity, children will learn how to weave sticks together.
- 2 straight sticks equal in diameter and length
- Yarnthree or four different colors
- Bind the two sticks together in a cross shape by holding them together in one hand and taking a long piece of yarn (thirty-six inches) in the other hand.
- Wrap the yarn tightly on a diagonal fifteen times in one direction then fifteen times in the other direction.
- Once the sticks are tightly bound you may begin the weaving.
- You will have a loose end of yarn left after you wrap the diagonals, attach another piece of yarn of a different color by knotting the ends together.
- The cross will be held in one hand, the weaving string in the other.
- Moving clockwise, wrap over and around the first stick (the closest to your weaving hand), then move clockwise to the next stick and again wrap the yarn over the top, then around clockwise to next stick.
- Continue, creating a diamond-shaped pattern.
- Knot on new colors of yarn as the old yarn is used up.
- Tie around stick when finished.