- Wooden box measuring one yard long by 4 to 6 inches wide and 2 inches high
- 50 two-inch nails
- ½ cup dried peas
- Find someone who can help you make the box.
- A lumber yard can cut the wood to specific measurements so all you have to do is glue or nail it together.
- If you cannot make a whole box, simply hammer the nails into a single piece of wood and place it inside a cardboard box (from a florist), then tape the box shut.
- If you are using a wooden box, hammer the nails in a random pattern into the long piece of wood.
- Attach the sides with small nails.
- Put the handful of peas into the box and nail the lid in place.
- Paint or decorate the outside if you like.
- Hold the rain maker vertically and listen to the peas sift through the nails sounding like rain. Then flip the rain maker the other way vertically.
- Listen to by itself, play along with music, use it for sound effects while acting, or if you ever miss a rainy day.