- Hanging wire basket
- Sphagnum moss
- Potting soil
- Selected plants (see Note)
Hanging baskets of flowers provide lots of color throughout the summer and fall. A ten-inch basket will hold eight to twelve plants, depending on the varieties chosen.
- Pack the sphagnum moss around the inside of the basket.
- Soak in a deep basin or bucket.
- Half fill with moist potting soil.
- Place taller plants in the center and spreading plants around the outside.
- Fill with potting soil and press down firmly.
- Water one more time before hanging.
- As the plants grow, they will need more frequent watering.
- Water until water runs out of the bottom.
- Remove dead flowers by pinching them off at the stem.