Follow these instructions for making pots without a kiln. The clay can be air-dried or oven-dried.
- Clay that can be oven-dried, such as Fimo or Sculpey, or air-dried
- Spoon (optional)
- Paintbrush and tempera or acrylic paint (optional)
- Clear acrylic spray
- Help your child use one of these methods to make a pot:
- Roll the clay into a ball and make a hole in the center with your thumb. Push outward from the hole with your thumb and place your fingers on the outside of the ball as you press and shape the pot, turning the clay as you work. Try to keep the clay the same thickness all the way around.
- Make long ropes of clay about as thick as a large crayon. Coil the ropes around and around, piling the coils on top of each other to make a pot shape. You can leave the pot as is or use a spoon to smooth the coils into a flat surface.
- Follow the clay manufacturer's directions to dry your pot. If you like, have your child decorate the dried pot with tempera or acrylic paint. Finish the pot with clear acrylic spray.