- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- Tempera or acrylic paints
- 1/3 cup water
- Clear acrylic spray
- Red food coloring (optional)
- Glue gun (optional)
- Rolling pin
- Magnetic strips (optional)
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Jewelry pins (optional)
- Drinking straw
- Satin cord (optional)
- Baking sheet
- Have your child mix the flour and salt, then add the water and stir the mixture well to make clay. If you like, tint the clay with red food coloring.
- Roll out the clay and let your child cut heart shapes from it with the cookie cutter.
- If a heart will be strung on a necklace, poke a hole near the top of it with a straw.
- Bake the hearts on a baking sheet at 200ºF until they're hard. (This may take an hour or more.)
- Let your child paint the hearts.
- Finish them with clear acrylic spray.
- Glue magnetic strips onto the backs of the hearts to make refrigerator magnets.
- Glue jewelry pins onto the backs of the hearts to make brooches.
- String a heart on a 2-foot length of satin cord to make a necklace.
- Glue the hearts onto a plain picture frame.