This activity teaches children about the growth, development, and care of live Christmas trees.
Living Christmas Tree
- Small or dwarf fir tree
- Large clay pot
- Potting soil
- Go to your local nursery and select a tree that can be used as a Christmas treepine, fir, spruce, redwood, cedar, or hemlock.
- Plant your tree in a large clay or wood container, firmly packing potting soil around it.
- Keep your tree outside until just before Christmas, watering it regularly.
- When you bring your tree inside, put it by a window and away from heaters and fireplaces.
- Keep the soil moist by adding water or ice cubes.
- Place the pot on a flat tray to protect the floor or carpet.
- After Christmas, place tree in the garage for a few days before taking it outside.
- Wait until spring to plant your tree.
- If you don't have the space to plant a tree, call your local park district and ask them where it could be planted.
- Save the container to use again next year.