This outdoor activity teaches about surface tension. Your child will marvel at the hole in the middle of this bubble.
- Length of wire (large paper clip, thin-wire coat hanger)
- Bubble solution
- Length of thread shorter than wire
- Shape the wire into a circle about two inches in diameter.
- Dip the wire loop into the bubble solution and blow bubbles through it.
- Dip the thread in the bubble solution and roll the ends together between your fingers to form a loop.
- Dip the wire loop into the bubble solution again, but don't blow bubbles this time. Instead, place the thread loop gently on top of the film inside the wire loop.
- Break the film inside the thread loop. This should give you a doughnut-shaped film between the thread loop and the wire loop. Tilt the wire loop from side to side and watch the doughnut change shape.