At the beach, gather sand, seashells, and whatever interesting items you find. Create a plaster of Paris cast or mold with these things, as a memento of a wonderful day.
Table of contents
Activity for an individual child
Age group: 18-40 months
Duration of activity: 15 minutes
- Pie tin or other small container
- Small shovel
- Wet sand
- Seashells, driftwood, and other medium-sized beach items
- Plaster of paris
This is a wonderful way for your child to preserve memories. Beach casts also make great gifts.
- Have your child shovel wet sand into the container to fill it about a third of the way.
- Let him select items to add to the cast. Limit the items so that there is some space in between them.
- Show your child how to press the items so they are securely stuck into the sand without being buried.
- Mix water and plaster of paris according to package directions.
- Spoon the mixture over the sand and shells so that it reaches the rim of the container.
- Let the cast dry for a few days then gently remove from the container and rinse off.