Use these recipes to make decorative materials for use in various arts and crafts projects.
Use the following recipes to make decorative materials for use in various art and craft projects.
Colorful Creative Salt
- 1/2 cup salt
- 5-6 drops food coloring
- Microwave and microwave-safe container or wax paper
- Add food coloring to salt and stir well.
- Cook in microwave 1-2 minutes or spread on wax paper and let dry.
- Store in airtight container. Use as glitter.
- 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
- Food coloring
- Dry pasta
- Wax paper
- Mix alcohol and food coloring in a bowl.
- Add small amounts of dry pasta to the liquid and gently mix. The larger the pasta, the longer it will take to absorb the color.
- Dry on newspapers covered with wax paper.
- Remind your child that pasta dyed with this recipe is not for eating; it's only for art projects!
- Small bowls or cups
- 1/4 teaspoon food coloring per container
- 3/4 cup hot water per container
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar per container
- Measure all liquids into bowl or cup and mix. Use a different color in each container.
- Soak eggs in dye until they reach the desired shades.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pound powdered sugar (about 4 cups), sifted
- Damp cloth
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Add sugar and continue beating until mixture is thick and holds its shape.
- Cover bowl with damp cloth when not in use. This frosting can be made from several hours to a day before use. It makes a great glue for gingerbread houses and other edible works of art.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.