Make your own memory cards using leftover holiday gift wrap and index cards.
Gift-Wrap Memory Game
This is a great way to recycle gift-wrap. You can also make this a seasonal activity by using gift-wrap in holiday patterns or cutting the cards into shapes such as winter mittens, hearts, or Easter eggs.
- Gift-wrap in a variety of patterns and colors
- 3-inch by 5-inch index cards
- Clear contact paper
- Clothespins (optional)
- Cut gift-wrap into 3-inch by 5-inch rectangles, making two rectangles from each pattern or color of paper.
- Glue each rectangle to a small index card.
- Cover both sides of the index card with clear contact paper and trim the edges.
- Make five to ten pairs of cards (more for older children).
- Very young children will enjoy simply handling and looking at the cards. Gradually encourage them to lay the cards out faceup and try to clip the matching pairs together with clothespins.
- Older toddlers and preschoolers will enjoy playing a game of Memory, where all cards are laid out face down and each player takes a turn trying to turn over a matching pair.
- Store the cards in a Ziploc bag.
- If you use clothespins with this game, store both clothespins and cards in a shoebox or diaper-wipe container when not in use.