Meaning and Origin of: Waller
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- English : Man from Wales, smooth
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : topographic name for someone living near a wall (in particular, the wall of a city), or an occupational name for a mason who built walls (see Wall).
- English : topographic name for someone who lived by a prominent wall, for example a Roman wall or the wall of a walled city (see Wall 2).
- English : occupational name for someone who boiled sea water to extract the salt, from an agent derivative of Middle English well(en) ‘to boil’.
- English : nickname for a good-humored person, Anglo-Norman French wall(i)er (an agent derivative of Old French galer ‘to make merry’, of Germanic origin).
- South German : nickname from Middle High German wallære ‘pilgrim’.
- Col. John Waller came from England to VA in about 1635. The name was brought to North America by several other bearers independently.