Meaning and Origin of: Strom
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- German : Stream
- Czechoslovakian : Tree
- Greek : Bed
Family name origins & meanings:
- Swedish (Ström) and Danish (Strøm) : from ström ‘current’, probably an arbitrarily adopted ornamental name but possibly a topographic name for someone who lived by a river.
- Norwegian : habitational name from any of numerous farmsteads so named from Old Norse straumr ‘current’, ‘stream’.
- German : variant of Strahm.
- Dutch : from Middle Dutch stroom, of uncertain meaning.
- Polish : topographic name for someone who lived on a steep slope, from strom ‘slope’ or stromy ‘precipitous’.
- Czech : topographic name or nickname from strom ‘tree’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : topographic or ornamental name, from German Strom ‘stream’, ‘river’.