Girl name origins & meanings
- American, English, Latin : A star
- Latin : Star
- French : Variation of Estella
Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Bright
Family name origins & meanings
- German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : nickname from German Star, Middle High German star, ‘starling’, probably denoting a talkative or perhaps a voracious person.
- Dutch : nickname either for a gloomy person or for someone who was rigid and inflexible, from Middle Dutch staer ‘having a troubled or gloomy expression’; ‘tight’, ‘stiff’.
- English translation of German and Jewish Stern.
- Slovenian : from the adjective star ‘old’ (see Stare).