Family name origins & meanings
- Dutch, Polish, and Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : ethnic and regional name from Middle Dutch Sasse, Polish Sas ‘Saxon’.
- Dutch (Van Sas) : habitational name denoting someone from places named Sas in North Brabant and Zeeland.
- Catalan : topographic name from a pre-Roman term meaning ‘mound’, ‘hillock’, or habitational name from any of the places named Sas in Catalonia.
- French : variant of Sasse 2.
- Hungarian : nickname from Hungarian sas ‘eagle’.
- Americanized form of Hungarian Szász, an ethnic name for a Saxon.