Family name origins & meanings
- Catalan : nickname for someone with blond hair or a fair complexion, from Latin russus.
- Swedish : ornamental name from ros ‘rose’.
- Slovenian : nickname from the dialect adjective ros ‘russet’, hence denoting a person with russet-colored hair. Compare Rus 2.
- Slovenian (Roš) : probably also a nickname from roš, a reduced form of rovaš ‘stick split lengthwise’, which was used to keep accounts (by scoring or making notches in the wood).
- Cambodian or other Southeast Asian : unexplained.