Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Rock fortress
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish (of Norman origin) : see Roache. This is the name of various important families in Munster (counties Cork, Wexford, and Limerick).
- French : topographic name for someone who lived by a rocky outcrop or crag, Old French roche.
- German : from a short form of a Germanic personal name, Rocco, based on hrok, of uncertain origin, or hrōd ‘renown’.
- French bearers of the name were first documented in Château Richer, Quebec, in 1665; the secondary surname <xref>Lafontaine</xref> is also attested.