Boy name origins & meanings
- Anglo-Saxon : Shield; wolf
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Rand
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from the Middle English personal name Rand(e), a short form of any of the various Germanic compound personal names with the first element rand ‘(shield) rim’, as for example Randolph.
- English : topographic name for someone who lived on the margin of a settlement or on the bank of a river (from Old English rand ‘rim’, used in a topographical sense), or a habitational name from a place named with this word, as for example Rand in Lincolnshire and Rand Grange in North Yorkshire.
- German : from a short form of any of the various compound names formed with rand- ‘rim’. Compare 1.
- German : topographic name from Middle High German, Middle Low German rand, rant ‘edge’, ‘rim’.