Girl name origins & meanings
- English : Palm tree
Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Palm-bearing pilgrim
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from Middle English, Old French palmer, paumer (from palme, paume ‘palm tree’, Latin palma), a nickname for someone who had been on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Such pilgrims generally brought back a palm branch as proof that they had actually made the journey, but there was a vigorous trade in false souvenirs, and the term also came to be applied to a cleric who sold indulgences.
- Swedish (Palmér) : ornamental name formed with palm ‘palm tree’ + the suffix -ér, from Latin -erius ‘descendant of’.
- Irish : when not truly of English origin (see 1 above), a surname adopted by bearers of Gaelic Ó Maolfhoghmhair (see Milford) perhaps because they were from an ecclesiastical family.
- German : topographic name for someone living among pussy willows (see Palm 2).
- German : from the personal name Palm (see Palm 3).