Meaning and Origin of: Osman
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Inspired; divine
- Arabic : Tender youth
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Turkish : from the Turkish personal name Osman, Turkish form of Arabic ‛Uthmān. This was the name of the third of the ‘rightly guided’ khalifs (ruled 644–656), one of the ten Companions of the Prophet Muhammad, to whom he gave the good news of entering into paradise.
- English : variant of Osmond.
- Dutch : from a Germanic personal name composed of the elements ans ‘god’ + man ‘man’.
- Dutch : occupational name for an ox driver, from os ‘ox’, ‘bullock’ + man ‘man’.
- German (Osmann) : variant of Ossmann (see Ossman).
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : of uncertain origin; perhaps a variant of Oshman or Hausman.