Meaning and Origin of: Norton
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old English : From the north
- English : Northern town
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : habitational name from any of the many places so called, from Old English norð ‘north’ + tūn ‘enclosure’, ‘settlement’. In some cases, it is a variant of Norrington.
- Irish : altered form of Naughton, assimilated to the English name.
- Jewish (American) : adoption of the English name in place of some like-sounding Ashkenazic name.
- Nicholas Norton (1610–90) came from Broadway, Somerset, England, to Weymouth, MA, in 1635–37. In about 1657 he moved to Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard. He had ten children and many prominent descendants.