Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Ruler of the sea
- Irish : Bright sea
- French : Famous
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Welsh : from the Welsh personal name Meurig, a form of Maurice, Latin Mauritius (see Morris).
- English : from an Old French personal name introduced to Britain by the Normans, composed of the Germanic elements meri, mari ‘fame’ + rīc ‘power’.
- Scottish : habitational name from a place near Minigaff in the county of Dumfries and Galloway, so called from Gaelic meurach ‘branch or fork of a road or river’.
- Irish : when not Welsh or English in origin, probably an Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Mearadhaigh (see Merry).