Boy name origins & meanings
- Middle English : Occupational name meaning “landowner”; also place name: Lander, Wyoming
Family name origins & meanings
- German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : topographic name from Middle High German lant, German Land ‘land’, ‘territory’ (seeLand 1), used originally to denote either someone who was a native of the area in which he lived, in contrast to a newcomer (seeNeumann), or someone who lived in the countryside as opposed to a town.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : habitational name from either of two places called Landau (see Landau), Lande in Yiddish.
- Dutch : from a Germanic personal name formed with land‘land’ + hardu ‘strong’.
- English : variant ofLavender.
- Americanized form (translation) of FrenchTerrien, found in New England.