Girl name origins & meanings
- Anglo-Saxon : From the church town
Boy name origins & meanings
- English : House
- Norse : Marshland
- English : Village of the church
- Old Norse : From the church
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English : habitational name from any of the numerous places in northern England called Kirby or Kirkby, from Old Norse kirkja ‘church’ + býr ‘settlement’.
- Irish : adopted as an English equivalent of Gaelic Ó Garmhaic ‘descendant of Ciarmhac’, a personal name meaning ‘dark son’. Compare Kerwick.