Girl name origins & meanings
- Celtic, Gaelic : Dark-haired child
Boy name origins & meanings
- Irish : Small and dark-skinned
- Gaelic : Dark
- Gaelic : Small and dark-skinned
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish : reduced form of McCarron.
- German, Dutch, and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from Middle High German kerne ‘kernel’, ‘seed’, ‘pip’; Middle Dutch kern(e), keerne; GermanKern or Yiddish kern ‘grain’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a farmer, or a nickname for a small person. As a Jewish surname, it is mainly ornamental.
- English : probably a metonymic occupational name for a maker or user of hand mills, from Old English cweorn ‘hand mill’, or a habitational name for someone from Kern in the Isle of Wight, named from this word.