Boy name origins & meanings
- Italian : Song
Family name origins & meanings
- Dutch : occupational name for a carter, Middle Dutch kerreman.
- Hungarian (Kármán) : from kármány, ethnic name for the Turkish people of southern Anatolia’s Karaman region, which was famous for its silk and leather products. The Hungarian name is probably derived via medieval Latin Caramanus, Carmanus, not directly from Turkish.
- Jewish (from Hungary) : adoption of 2.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : from Russian karman ‘bag’, ‘pocket’, presumably applied as a metonymic occupational name for a maker of such articles.
- Altered spelling of German Karmann.