Boy name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : Stalk, reed
Family name origins & meanings
- Chinese : spelling variant of Jian.
- Chinese : from the name of a place called Kan which existed during the Spring and Autumn period (722–481 bc) in the state of Lu, in present-day Shandong province. Some residents adopted the place name as their surname.
- Chinese : variant of Gan 1.
- Czech (Káň) : from kanit meaning ‘to slobber or slaver’ and by extension ‘to gossip’, hence a nickname for a gossip.
- Czech : nickname from káně ‘buzzard’.
- German : derivative of the personal name Konrad.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : one of the many forms of Cohen.
- Dutch : from Middle Dutch kan(ne), can(ne) ‘tankard’, ‘flagon’, ‘pitcher’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a maker of such vessels: a potter or a pewterer.
- Reduced form of Dutch van de Kan : habitational name for someone from De Kan in Veurne or a place called Kanne.