Boy name origins & meanings
- Greek : Healer
What does Jason mean and stand for?
The name Jason is of Greek origin and means "healer." It is from the Greek name Iason meaning "healer", derived from the Greek iaomai meaning "to heal".
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English : probably a patronymic from James or any of various other personal names beginning with J-.
- Possibly also Greek : shortened and Americanized form of Iassonides, patronymic from the personal name Iasōn, which is derived from the Greek vocabulary word iasthai to ‘heal’. This was borne by a saint mentioned in St. Paul’s Epistle to the Romans, traditionally believed to have been martyred. In classical mythology this is the name (English Jason) of the leader of the Argonauts, who captured the Golden Fleece with the aid of Medea, daughter of the king of Colchis.
Famous people with this first name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
According to Social Security Administration data, Jason has only recently fallen out of the top 100, where it had stayed from 2000 to 2017. Jason had even enjoyed time in the top 50 from 2000 to 2004.
However, it is the 28th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Jason was at its peak popularity in January 2020.
Jason was mostly popular in the 1970s, hanging out in the top 5 for quite a while. Now, it is less common yet still popular. Jason was hospitable to Saint Paul in The Bible and he was the leader of the Argonauts in Greek mythology. Notable namesakes include Jason Biggs, Jason Bateman, Jason Aldean, Jason Alexander, Jason Segel, Jason Sudeikis, and Jason Wade. It has been chosen for fictional characters in Barney and Friends, High School Musical, Friday Night Lights, and General Hospital.
Where is it Popular?
Jason was searched for most often in the following states:
Nicknames for Jason
Pairs well with these middle names
- New Testament Boys' Names
- Popular Names and Their Pros and Cons
- 20 Baby Names with Even Better Nicknames
- Classic Names
People who like this name also like