Family name origins & meanings
- German (Bavaria; Höck) : topographic name for someone living by a hedge, from a dialect variant of Heck 2.
- German : occupational name from Middle High German hocke ‘street trader’.
- South German form of Haack 2.
- Dutch : from a short form of a Germanic name with the first element hugi ‘mind’, ‘thought’ (e.g. Hugh, Hubert).
- Dutch : habitational or topographic name, a variant of Hoek.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : when not of the same origin as 2 above, from a short form of the personal name Isaac.