Girl name origins & meanings
- Greek : Cheer
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings
- German : Battle sword
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English and Scottish : extremely common and widely distributed topographic name for someone who lived on or by a hill, Middle English hill (Old English hyll).
- English : from the medieval personal name Hill, a short form of Hilary (see Hillary) or of a Germanic (male or female) compound name with the first element hild ‘strife’, ‘battle’.
- German : from a short form of Hildebrand or any of a variety of other names, male and female, containing Germanic hild as the first element.
- Jewish (American) : Anglicized form of various Jewish names of similar sound or meaning.
- English translation of Finnish Mäki (‘hill’), or of any of various other names formed with this element, such as Mäkinen, Heinämaki, Kivimäki.