Boy name origins & meanings
- German : Deer
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- German and Dutch : from a personal name derived from a short form of the various Germanic compound names with the first elementhard ‘hardy’, ‘brave’, ‘strong’.
- German : nickname for a stout-hearted or kind-hearted individual, from Middle High Germanherze ‘heart’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : ornamental name from German Herz ‘heart’, Yiddish harts.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from the Yiddish personal name Herts, which is from Middle High German hir(t)z ‘deer’, ‘hart’ (seeHirsch).
- Dutch : variant of Hirsch.
- Danish and Swedish : probably of German origin.