Meaning and Origin of: Hertz
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- German : Deer
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- German and Dutch : from a personal name derived from a short form of the various Germanic compound names with the first element hard ‘hardy’, ‘brave’, ‘strong’.
- German : nickname for a stout-hearted or kind-hearted individual, from Middle High German herze ‘heart’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : ornamental name from German Herz ‘heart’, Yiddish harts.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from the Yiddish personal name Herts, which is from Middle High German hir(t)z ‘deer’, ‘hart’ (see Hirsch).
- Dutch : variant of Hirsch.
- Danish and Swedish : probably of German origin.