Meaning and Origin of: Heller
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- German : The sun
Family name origins & meanings:
- German : nickname from the small medieval coin known as the häller or heller because it was first minted (in 1208) at the Swabian town of (Schwäbisch) Hall. Compare Hall.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : habitational name for someone from Schwäbisch Hall.
- German : topographic name for someone living by a field named as ‘hell’ (see Helle 3).
- English : topographic name for someone living on a hill, from southeastern Middle English hell + the habitational suffix -er.
- Dutch : from a Germanic personal name composed of the elements hild ‘strife’ + hari, heri ‘army’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : nickname for a person with fair hair or a light complexion, from an inflected form, used before a male personal name, of German hell ‘light’, ‘bright’, Yiddish hel.