Meaning and Origin of: Hanson
Boy name origins & meanings:
- English : Son of a nobleman
- Hebrew : God's grace
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English (chiefly Midlands and northern England, especially Yorkshire) : patronymic from Hann or the byname Hand.
- Irish : shortened Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó hAmhsaigh (see Hampson 2).
- Irish : variant of McKittrick.
- Respelling of Scandinavian Hansen or Hansson.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : metronymic from the female personal name Hanna.
- A family by the name of Hanson were established in America by John Hanson, one of four brothers sent there by Queen Christina of Sweden in 1642. They were grandsons of an Englishman who had married into the Swedish royal family; he was descended from a certain Roger de Rastrick, who had lived in Yorkshire in the 13th century.