Meaning and Origin of: Hanna
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew : God is merciful; graceful one
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Irish (especially northeastern Ulster) : shortened Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó hAnnaigh ‘descendant of Annach’, a byname of uncertain meaning.
- English : from the medieval female personal name Hannah or Anna, ultimately from Hebrew Chana ‘He (God) has favored me’ (i.e. with a child). The name is borne in the Bible by the mother of Samuel (1 Samuel 1: 1–28), and there is a tradition (unsupported by Biblical evidence) that it was the name of the mother of the Virgin Mary; this St. Anne was a popular figure in medieval art and legend.
- Scottish : variant of Hannay.
- German : from a pet form of the personal name Hans.