Meaning and Origin of: German
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- English : Bud
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Latin : Brotherly
- Latin : German
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : ethnic name from Old French germain ‘German’ (Latin Germanus). This sometimes denoted an actual immigrant from Germany, but was also used to refer to a person who had trade or other connections with German-speaking lands. The Latin word Germanus is of obscure and disputed origin; the most plausible of the etymologies that have been proposed is that the people were originally known as the ‘spear-men’, with Germanic gēr, gār ‘spear’ as the first element.
- English (of Norman origin) : from the Old French personal name Germain (see Germain).
- Americanized spelling of Spanish Germán or Hungarian Germán, cognates of 2.
- German : from the saint’s name German(us). See also Germann.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : Russianized variant of Hermann.
- Greek : reduced form of Germanos, a Greek personal name, bestowed in honor of saints of the Eastern Church distinct from St. Germain: in particular, St. Germanos in the 8th century, liturgical poet and patriarch of Constantinople. The Greek surname can also denote someone associated with Germany or someone with blond hair.