Girl name origins & meanings
- American : From the holiday
Family name origins & meanings
- English : topographic name for someone living to the east of a main settlement, from Middle English easter ‘eastern’, Old English ēasterra, in form a comparative of ēast ‘east’ (see East).
- English : habitational name from a group of villages in Essex, named from Old English eowestre ‘sheepfold’.
- English : nickname for someone who had some connection with the festival of Easter, such as being born or baptized at that time (Old English ēastre, perhaps from the name of a pagan festival connected with the dawn).
- Translation of the German family name Oster.